Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Lots of tears.

We got through two days of preschool with no tears.  I did not expect Olivia to let me go on either day but she did very well.
Today was different.  I tried to do all the right things before I left and warn her that it would time for me to leave soon.  She would not let me go.  The assistant picked her up and carried her away, all the while I'm thinking surely it doesn't have to be this way, I could stay and leave when she's more settled.

Olivia screamed.

I had no idea of the horrible feeling you have when you leave a screaming child at preschool.  My heart is aching.  I feel like I just want to go back and get her but I know it wont help.  It doesn't help that it's her birthday today and I would have really preferred to spend the day with her anyway.

Olivia saw me at the gate and apparently kept breaking free and running to the gate.

Olivia is very stubborn.  No amount of coaxing or bribing will get her to give in.

I rang the school and gave them some tips.  She's best left alone, even ignored, and she will slowly, very slowly, join the group on her own.

It gives me a bit of comfort knowing that her cousin is there with her.  I also told the school Hannah may be able to come down in her playtime and help settle her but I don't know if that may make things worse.

I will ring the school again in about 30 min and then hopefully be able to set my mind on some lovely things such as making this cake.  I bought this cupcake stand especially for it!

I hope my icing comes out nice and glossy like that!

Happy Birthday my big 4 year old!





5 comments:

  1. Oh Ruth that's awful! :( poor you and poor Olivia. Especially on her birthday. I hope she settles ok and ends up having a great day xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Olivia!! That was really hard to read so I can't even imagine what how you would of felt?? Have you finished those tutus yet?? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor Olivia! Poor you! I am sure it was harder for you because it was her birthday. We were getting ready for HFG last night and I told Audrey Malakai would be there. She asked if Olivia would be there as well. I said not tonight and she said "she is my bestest friend and I cuddle her if she falls over".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Michelle that's so sweet! We'll definately have to have more playdates now that they're FOUR!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww this makes me so sad! Poor you and Olivia! I happen to be a preschool teacher and until having my daughter I never knew how hard it is for parents to leave when their child is upset that their parents are leaving! I get that same heart aching feeling when I have to go to work! My daughter is almost a year old and I am SO not looking forward to preschool stage. BUT I can tell you as a teacher of 6 years that it DOES get better and easier!! It may not seem like it now...but it will! Promise : ) Happy Birthday to Olivia! I'm sure her birthday was magical!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...